Friday, August 27, 2010

Taking Flight for Fall

I know I haven't blogged much in recent weeks, but in truth I haven't birded much either. Summer in Utah is viciously hot, with unrelenting sun and no relief even from the occasional thunderstorm or brief shower. The birds are less active, and so are the birders.

I have been less active as well, only keeping up my feeders and caring for my backyard birds. They appreciate the attention for sure, and I appreciate seeing them visit my feeders, peek in my window, and splash in my bird bath. I still long for the morning bird walks when I'd see amazing warblers, or the visits to the local pond with widely varied waterfowl, but it is the birds here at home that are amazing companions with their fun personalities and energetic lives.

In the next few weeks, as fall gets underway and bird activity increases, I hope to increase my posting as well. The actions of birds are erratic and you never know when something may happen, or how long a period may pass when it seems you only refill the feeders and never have any avian excitement. It is time, however, to learn to re-appreciate all the birds around you, every one.

I may have landed for a bit, but it's time to take flight again.

2 comments:

Whispering Feather said...

I live in northwest Wisconsin, and our birds are leaving here and heading to their winter homes...the birds that stay all winter, are now making their way out of the woods and to the feeders...this is one of my most favorite times of the yaer...I am not a fan of hot weather...lol!
My husband just arrived at Wells NV for work, so he will, no doubt, share with me what birds/activity he sees...he has called each step of the way with updates on the landscape...hehehe Love you blog!
Anna

Melissa said...

Glad you like the blog, Anna - thanks for the comment!