Sunday, February 10, 2013

Pretty Posing

I admit it, I'm a twitcher - always looking for my next lifer. Yet, too often we overlook the beauty of our far more common avian visitors, and once in awhile one still takes our breath away.

Earlier this week I was trying to get photos of an industrious black-capped chickadee (who was completely uninterested in sitting still for my amateur photography skills), when I noticed a far calmer, far more agreeable bird perched nearby - but it was "just" a house finch. But look closely - the rich strawberry wash on the head and breast, the feathers fluffed a touch to keep warm but still keeping the streaking clear and visible, the intelligence and curiosity in the eye. If I didn't stop to look, I'd have missed a striking, beautiful bird, and a wonderful photo to remind me of one of my favorite backyard guests. They may visit every day, and on nearly every feeder I stock, but there's nothing common about the beauty, joy, and entertainment backyard birds bring us. I'll be looking closer now!

What birds have you overlooked lately? Maybe one of the most common backyard birds in the United States,
or maybe just a bird that is common to you. Look closer, and you may be amazed at what you see!

No comments: