Friday, February 22, 2008

Birding Books

I got two new resource books this week -- Birds of Utah Field Guide by Stan Tekiela and The Backyard Bird Feeder's Bible by Sally Roth, both of which I would highly recommend. These augment my older two books, Birds of North America by Kenn Kaufman and Audubon North American Birdfeeder Guide by Robert Burton and Stephen Kress. Owning more than one field guide is extremely valuable for identifying species -- different books use slightly different descriptions of species and their behavior, and different photographs can help novice birders such as myself more accurately identify visitors. I especially appreciate regional guides as they are generally more comprehensive, and I see no sense in buying a field guide that will tell me mountains of information about birds that are hundreds or thousands of miles away that I have no hope of seeing visit my feeders.

The birdfeeder books will prove invaluable as I begin the landscaping projects needed to turn this bare plot into a suitable sanctuary. Already in reading through them I've gleaned many seeds of information I plan to implement -- ground level birdbaths, layering plants, non-seed foods to attract and nourish newcomers -- and I know they'll work wonders as the sanctuary takes shape.

No comments: