Wednesday, October 29, 2008

October Poll Reminder

Just a quick reminder, there are only three days left to vote in the October poll -- What feeder(s) do you use?
  • Hopper: A feeder with a reservoir that feeds into a tray.
  • Platform: Easy tray that can hold all types of seed and scraps.
  • Ground: It can't get easier than tossing seed on the ground, and the California quail love it.
  • Nectar: Liquid feeders for hummingbirds, orioles, and hopeful house finches.
  • Suet: Log, bag, or cage feeders with suet cakes.
  • Tube: Narrow feeder for finches.
  • Dish: Perfect for peanuts - or so my western scrub jays would tell you.

Personally, I use several types of feeders -- the only one I don't use, in fact, is a suet feeder. I did at one time, until the suet went rancid without ever having tempted a single bird. My urban backyard is not the best place for woodpeckers and other suet fans, at least not yet. Perhaps after the trees mature a bit and more birds learn of the buffet I offer, a suet feeder will be more welcome. What feeders do you use? Vote today!

No comments: